Skip to main content

What You Do in the Darkness Makes You Shine in the Light

“It is what you do in the darkness that makes you shine in the light.” I heard this quote on a commercial for the Summer Olympics the other night and it really got me thinking.

I think quite a bit… one of my strengths but also one of my weaknesses.

The Summer Olympics are just around the corner. I am an Olympic junkie… well… Summer Olympics… I can take or leave the Winter Olympics. Anyway, I absolutely love everything about it. I love watching the competitors and hearing all about their incredible journey. Their price is great; their cost is great. Their physical, emotional, and financial boundaries are pushed to the limit in order for them to reach their full potential.

They literally give all they have every single day with ONE HUGE goal as their primary focus.

They are completely driven.
They are completely sold out.
They are completely dedicated to getting the job done.
They desire one thing; to proudly represent their country and to WIN at all costs.
They stare pain, defeat, worry, and fear right in the face and remain confident.
They persevere and endure.
They are forged in the fire and come out stronger.

The entire process amazes me. The start, the middle, and the end all play a vital role in an Olympian’s life.

It is in the beginning where the joy of something specific starts. The first dribbled basketball, the first dive in the pool, the first walk across the balance beam, or the first race. It is in these moments and accomplishments that desire and passion start to intensify. Without the beginning there would be no story to tell and no journey would take place. Without the beginning there would be no middle and there would be no end.

It is in the middle where all the work takes place. The desire and passion are tested to the max. Choices are not only made but put into practice EVERY SINGLE DAY! Everything matters in the middle. Every early workout, every late workout, every diet plan, every pain, every heartache, every failure, and every victory… Each piece is not only needed but necessary to complete the puzzle; to complete the end result. It is what happens here, in the middle that matters the most because all the work is usually done in the darkness all alone. When everyone else sleeps in, when everyone else goes to the party, when everyone else eats the amazing junk food, when everyone else quits…. that is when THE WORK IS DONE. It is what happens here, in the darkness that ultimately brings forth light. A light that shines above the rest. Without the middle there would be no story to tell; the journey would be short. Without the middle there would be no end.

It is in the end when the bigger picture becomes clear. Everything that happened in the beginning and everything that happened in the middle; all the hard work pays off. It is all worth it in the end. The game plan was discovered, tested, and tried… And staying the course led straight to victory. Without the end there would be no reason for the beginning. Without the end there would be no hope during the middle. Literally everything done is completely and solely for the end. Nothing else matters but… THE END!!

How interesting is it that almost every single thing we come across, if applied correctly and thought about deeply, can be applied to our lives. Almost every single thing can help us grow in the Lord.

I mean really it is a choice right? Grow… Stay the same… or Wilt away.

Seriously though let’s apply this…

We all have a beginning. Our beginning started when we surrendered our lives to Christ. Our beginning started when we finally realized how desperately we needed a Savior. Our beginning started when we finally realized that this life is meaningless and joyless without Christ. It is in the beginning… The moment we accepted Christ… That our journey really began (2 Corinthians 5:17). Our joy was discovered (John 15:11). Our passion and desire to grow intensified. Without this beginning the middle would not matter. Without this beginning the end would be dim.

We all are in the middle of our middle. This is it… all the work is happening right now. Our desire to serve Christ and our passion for Him is tested to the max. Choices are made on a daily basis; serve Christ or deny Him. These choices are made and put into practice every single day (Luke 9:23). Everything matters in the middle. Every outcry to God, every valley, every mountain top, every pain, every heartache, every failure, every success, every answered prayer, every unanswered prayer, every mistake, every victory… each piece is not only needed but necessary to complete God’s puzzle for our lives (Job 23:10). It is what happens here in the middle that matters the most. It is what you do in the darkness when no one is watching that ultimately defines you… it is there in those moments that the real work gets done. A work that will make you shine far above the rest. Without the middle we would never see God’s end result for our life. Without the middle we would never fulfill our purpose or reach our full potential. 

The End. Man oh man… just think about it for a second. It will all be worth it all when we see Jesus! What a day that will be. Our end is like nothing we can fathom and I cannot wait. Everything that happened in the beginning and everything that happened in the middle; all God’s work will be evident. His plan for our life was discovered, tested and tried… And staying on the straight and narrow path led us straight to Him every time. Without this end there would be no reason for the beginning. Without this end the middle… All the hardships… All the grief… All the work would not matter. Literally everything started and done is completely and solely for THIS END. Nothing else matters except God’s Kingdom. Nothing else matters except Heaven (Colossians 3:1-4).

So there it is…

We are completely emerged in the most important time of our lives RIGHT NOW.

So… the question remains…

What will you do in the darkness?



P.S. If you would like to know how to begin your journey by accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, please feel free to contact me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Experience is a Classroom

One of the biggest reasons I love sports is because each sport can teach you so much about life and so much about you as an individual. Over the years I have really started to love running. I am by no stretch of the imagination a marathon runner and probably never will be but this sport teaches me so much on a daily basis. I work out three to four times a week and every time I am at the gym I run between 4 to 6 miles (sometimes a little more but I try my very best not to go under 4). There are some nights where I feel I could run forever and my mind and body are in complete unison. Those nights are pretty joyous for lack of a better word. Those nights inspire me and motivate me. Those nights shout loud and clear that my determination and hard work is paying off. However, there are some nights that really are just complete torture. My mind and body fight the entire time. Most of the time the fighting starts even before I get to the gym. I let different things discourage me. I let my

The Church - The Mission - Are We Getting It Right

I absolutely hate procrastination! Just ask my husband…  But I procrastinated to the very last minute to sit down and write this post. I could have written three to five other posts in the amount of time it took me to write this one. I was and am extremely nervous to share my thoughts on this topic because I believe God is trying to reveal something in my life personally. He is pulling and tugging at my heart. I have so much passion for this topic right now but I am not sure what I am supposed to do with it yet. It is hard to write about something that you are so passionate about because you want the words to be clear and interpreted correctly. Certainly, I know, there will be some that will miss the point, some may not care, but maybe… just maybe one person will get it. Maybe one person will catch on and see the vision. Passion, along with vision and attitude, is extremely contagious. Alright… enough chit chat. Here we go… So, where did this passion start? Where did it be

Loving the Mirror

Confidence? There was a time  when confidence was evident in every area of my life. I truly believed I was beautiful just the way God made me and I truly believed He had a special plan  designed just for me . Living life back then was so much easier; so much simpler. Of course there were obstacles along the way,  hard  choices that needed to be made, and sometimes life was confusing… but my confidence in God and His plan outweighed anything else. I honestly though t my confidence would only grow the older I became; I thought I  would always love the way God made me  (I mean there is only one  me… that is pretty incredible).   I never imagined I would wake up one morning and  hate  what I saw in the mirror. Not me… not the girl who  personally  knows  the One who made her. It is kind of crazy for me to even think I lost sight of were true confidence resides.  A little shameful if I’m honest, but  the choice to grow and overcome weaknesses only comes when we are willing to adm