Skip to main content

When Our Feet Fail

My sweet little Addison has found herself smack dap in the middle of a very clumsy stage of life. She literally gets hurt 6 times a day… Maybe even more. Most of her accidental injuries come with nice bumps and bruises on her head and face. The other day she was playing tag with Braden. She thought (in her 22 month old mind) that she would be faster running backwards I guess… So she decided to run as fast as her little legs could go backwards. Now… Obviously this was a terrible decision and would not end well no matter what. Nonetheless, she was determined. She was pretty persistent for a while and then she started tripping over her own feet. The same feet that she relies on (without thinking) to stand, walk, and run. The same feet that usually never fail, tripped her up so bad that she slammed into our glass end table. She slammed into it so hard that the entire table moved several inches. You could see the indentations from where the glass table used to be. Her response surprised me though. She screamed for about a minute then she looked at me with such amount of pride and happiness and said… “I did it mommy.” Unsure whether she was proud of the running backwards or hitting the table so hard that she moved it… I just smiled and said “Yes you did.” I sat in amazement (as I often do with my children) with how my sweet girl responded to a very bad situation. Although, she definitely was hurt, confused, and sad for a moment; she chose to not stay in that place. She chose to focus on the positive. She did something incredible in her mind; something she has never done before. She ran backwards and she moved a glass end table with her head.

As I sat there I was a bit envious of how my little girl’s mind worked. A bit envious of the simplicity but very precise way of thinking. I wondered what it would be like if I chose to have the same mindset of my child? What would happen if I chose to focus on the positive in the middle of a storm? What would happen if I chose to not worry about the outcome and chose to focus on God and Him alone? It is so easy to say we are positive thinking people; so easy to say we strive to only focus on God… But actually living a life that way is seemingly impossible at times. Or is it?

I honestly believe I find myself in very clumsy stages of life at times. When storms arise, when things do not make sense, and when the outcome is not clear or in sight; I trip over my own feet. The same feet that I rely on every day without thinking, the same feet that usually know exactly where they are going, and the same feet that usually step with confidence each day knowing who it is that directs the steps somehow begin to trip me up.

My own feet fail me.

Instead of stepping in confidence, I step in my insecurities.

Instead of stepping precisely, I waiver.

Instead of stepping and knowing exactly who is in charge, I step and step and work and work and worry and worry and try and try… All while mistakenly thinking somehow I can change the outcome.  

I choose to focus on the storm. I choose to let my clumsy stage of life direct my path and my way of thinking. Although the storms and circumstances usually bring about pain, confusion, and sadness; it is only my decision to stay there; to stay in that dark way of thinking; to stay in a place where hope seems too far to reach. It is only my decision to be clumsy. It is only my decision to let my feet fail me. God is already there (Psalm 139: 1-10). He is already willing and ready to catch me when I fall (Psalm 37:24, Psalm 118:13, Psalm 94:18). He is already working and bringing forth something amazing (Romans 8:28); something that has never been done before. He is just waiting for me to rely on Him; waiting for me to have faith be my stability (Romans 1:17, 1 Corinthians 2:5). He is waiting for me to stop worrying about the outcomes and start living and walking in the truth (3 John 1:4).

He will carry me when my feet cannot go on anymore (Psalm 46, Isaiah 63:9).

He will guide me when I lose my way (Psalm 48:14).

I know most of you have heard the song “Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)” before. I have mixed feelings about that song… Possibly because I have heard it and sung it too many times… But no matter how you feel about that song you cannot deny how much power lies within the words. I wanted to add the lyrics for you today. Sometimes it is wise to just read the lyrics before you even sing a song; to not only read them but actually think about what the words mean. How crazy would it be if we did not just sing this song but actually lived it out?

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

Oh, Jesus, you're my God!

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine

Our feet will fail us.

Fear will surround us.

Waters will seem deep and waves will be treacherous.

Clumsy may be the only way to describe our life at times…But… there is One who never fails.

He will not fail. He cannot fail. He is ours and we are His!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Experience is a Classroom

One of the biggest reasons I love sports is because each sport can teach you so much about life and so much about you as an individual. Over the years I have really started to love running. I am by no stretch of the imagination a marathon runner and probably never will be but this sport teaches me so much on a daily basis. I work out three to four times a week and every time I am at the gym I run between 4 to 6 miles (sometimes a little more but I try my very best not to go under 4). There are some nights where I feel I could run forever and my mind and body are in complete unison. Those nights are pretty joyous for lack of a better word. Those nights inspire me and motivate me. Those nights shout loud and clear that my determination and hard work is paying off. However, there are some nights that really are just complete torture. My mind and body fight the entire time. Most of the time the fighting starts even before I get to the gym. I let different things discourage me. I let my

The Church - The Mission - Are We Getting It Right

I absolutely hate procrastination! Just ask my husband…  But I procrastinated to the very last minute to sit down and write this post. I could have written three to five other posts in the amount of time it took me to write this one. I was and am extremely nervous to share my thoughts on this topic because I believe God is trying to reveal something in my life personally. He is pulling and tugging at my heart. I have so much passion for this topic right now but I am not sure what I am supposed to do with it yet. It is hard to write about something that you are so passionate about because you want the words to be clear and interpreted correctly. Certainly, I know, there will be some that will miss the point, some may not care, but maybe… just maybe one person will get it. Maybe one person will catch on and see the vision. Passion, along with vision and attitude, is extremely contagious. Alright… enough chit chat. Here we go… So, where did this passion start? Where did it be

Loving the Mirror

Confidence? There was a time  when confidence was evident in every area of my life. I truly believed I was beautiful just the way God made me and I truly believed He had a special plan  designed just for me . Living life back then was so much easier; so much simpler. Of course there were obstacles along the way,  hard  choices that needed to be made, and sometimes life was confusing… but my confidence in God and His plan outweighed anything else. I honestly though t my confidence would only grow the older I became; I thought I  would always love the way God made me  (I mean there is only one  me… that is pretty incredible).   I never imagined I would wake up one morning and  hate  what I saw in the mirror. Not me… not the girl who  personally  knows  the One who made her. It is kind of crazy for me to even think I lost sight of were true confidence resides.  A little shameful if I’m honest, but  the choice to grow and overcome weaknesses only comes when we are willing to adm