Skip to main content

Tuned to One Voice


“Turn it up” 
“Let the game come to you”

Those were some of the instructions I would hear on a constant basis during each one of my basketball games growing up. The funny thing is, there could have been hundreds of people screaming, coaches yelling at me, music playing, and buzzers going off but I still would have been tuned to the one person yelling in the stands.

You see, that one person was my dad. My dad spent countless hours with me outside of practice, my dad knew the ins and outs of my game. He knew me as a person and as a player. He knew the right things to say to help kick my butt into gear so to speak. We spent time together, we learned from each other and when it came to game time... I was tuned to his voice. No matter the Chaos around me, no matter how many other voices I heard, his voice was the most clear. I listened when he spoke because I knew without a shadow of a doubt he wanted the best for me and he could see things that I couldn’t.
  •  Now as time went on, listening to my dad got me into trouble with my coaches but for illustration sake, we will just skip that part 😉
Hearing one voice amidst the chaos: man how very applicable in the day and age we live in. Social media gives the largest platform for so many different point of views, beliefs, and opinions. We live in a world where more people disagree on a countless number of topics than agree. Teens, kids, and even adults are bombarded with articles and ideas that go completely against the Word of God. These articles, these points of view are articulated extremely well... so well, that some, decide to accept this new point of view and claim it as their own.

How can that be? How can people turn away from truth and be swayed so easily by something that sounds good?

The conclusion is they were never tuned to the One voice they needed to be tuned to. You see, maybe they went to church to hear a message by a preacher, maybe they sat in youth group to hear a message by a youth pastor, maybe they had an accountability partner to hear more words from another person.... but they never spent time with the One who matters. They never spent time in God’s Word learning His truth and making that truth their own. They are so easily swayed by others because they don’t even know the truth or perhaps they don’t care.

In order to care about someone you need to spend time with them. In order to know someone you need to spend time with them. In order to distinguish between truth and lies you must know truth.

I am afraid and worried we are becoming a generation that likes to listen to so many other voices except the One that actually matters. We choose others over God. We actually search other voices out. We want to know what famous people think about topics. We quickly grab our phones and become glued to social media when a big event happens just to see what more people think. We try to navigate through different people’s emotions and ideas when we ourselves don’t have a firm foundation. We become depressed so we seek out others who are depressed. We feel hopeless so we seek and strive for social media popularity to feel like we belong. We are told standing for truth is judging so we seek the world’s approval to fit in. We struggle with what is true so we search and search the World Wide Web for something that makes us feel better.

What about God?!?
What does God say?!?
Do we seek Him this much or even at all?
Do we seek out Truth from Him?

He is the truth, the way, and the life. I don’t know about you but I don’t want to be swayed by anything other than truth. I don’t care how elaborate it sounds, or if the most famous person in the world is saying it. If what they say, if what they do, and if what they stand for goes against my God then I can know without a shadow of a doubt it’s wrong. 

Seek God, don’t be fooled by this world. Seek Him, know Him, listen to Him, and you will find truth. In His truth there is peace. A peace that passes all understanding.

Who’s voice are you tuned to? Can you hear God?

I heard my dad above all else because of the time I spent with him and the choice I made to listen to his voice above everything else.

 It’s a daily choice. Die to self and choose God!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Experience is a Classroom

One of the biggest reasons I love sports is because each sport can teach you so much about life and so much about you as an individual. Over the years I have really started to love running. I am by no stretch of the imagination a marathon runner and probably never will be but this sport teaches me so much on a daily basis. I work out three to four times a week and every time I am at the gym I run between 4 to 6 miles (sometimes a little more but I try my very best not to go under 4). There are some nights where I feel I could run forever and my mind and body are in complete unison. Those nights are pretty joyous for lack of a better word. Those nights inspire me and motivate me. Those nights shout loud and clear that my determination and hard work is paying off. However, there are some nights that really are just complete torture. My mind and body fight the entire time. Most of the time the fighting starts even before I get to the gym. I let different things discourage me. I let my

The Church - The Mission - Are We Getting It Right

I absolutely hate procrastination! Just ask my husband…  But I procrastinated to the very last minute to sit down and write this post. I could have written three to five other posts in the amount of time it took me to write this one. I was and am extremely nervous to share my thoughts on this topic because I believe God is trying to reveal something in my life personally. He is pulling and tugging at my heart. I have so much passion for this topic right now but I am not sure what I am supposed to do with it yet. It is hard to write about something that you are so passionate about because you want the words to be clear and interpreted correctly. Certainly, I know, there will be some that will miss the point, some may not care, but maybe… just maybe one person will get it. Maybe one person will catch on and see the vision. Passion, along with vision and attitude, is extremely contagious. Alright… enough chit chat. Here we go… So, where did this passion start? Where did it be

Loving the Mirror

Confidence? There was a time  when confidence was evident in every area of my life. I truly believed I was beautiful just the way God made me and I truly believed He had a special plan  designed just for me . Living life back then was so much easier; so much simpler. Of course there were obstacles along the way,  hard  choices that needed to be made, and sometimes life was confusing… but my confidence in God and His plan outweighed anything else. I honestly though t my confidence would only grow the older I became; I thought I  would always love the way God made me  (I mean there is only one  me… that is pretty incredible).   I never imagined I would wake up one morning and  hate  what I saw in the mirror. Not me… not the girl who  personally  knows  the One who made her. It is kind of crazy for me to even think I lost sight of were true confidence resides.  A little shameful if I’m honest, but  the choice to grow and overcome weaknesses only comes when we are willing to adm