Skip to main content

The Church - The Mission - Are We Getting It Right

I absolutely hate procrastination! Just ask my husband… 

But I procrastinated to the very last minute to sit down and write this post. I could have written three to five other posts in the amount of time it took me to write this one. I was and am extremely nervous to share my thoughts on this topic because I believe God is trying to reveal something in my life personally. He is pulling and tugging at my heart. I have so much passion for this topic right now but I am not sure what I am supposed to do with it yet. It is hard to write about something that you are so passionate about because you want the words to be clear and interpreted correctly. Certainly, I know, there will be some that will miss the point, some may not care, but maybe… just maybe one person will get it. Maybe one person will catch on and see the vision. Passion, along with vision and attitude, is extremely contagious. Alright… enough chit chat. Here we go…

So, where did this passion start? Where did it begin?

Well… I truly believe some of these thoughts started after I got back from our 2015 Dominican Republic Mission’s Trip. God worked in my life in a huge way on that trip. It was definitely not how I expected Him to work, but most of the time it never is. Anyway, I began to start thinking that in small ways in my life I have lost focus of the bigger picture. I have lost focus of what really matters. These thoughts increased when I talked to my older brother (Ron Young) a few weeks later. He was telling me about their Mission’s Conference they just had and that he felt like one missionary, Oswald Smith, was speaking directly to Him. It was one sentence that pricked my brother’s heart. God used twenty words to move in a might way. Oswald Smith said, “No one has the right to hear the gospel twice, while there remains someone who has not heard it once.” Wow! It amazes me how one sentence; twenty words can be so convicting. My brother and I spent an hour on the phone that night encouraging each other and helping each other figure out what each of us could do better to reach out into our communities. Sure, my brother and I are doing God’s will for our lives. We are in full time ministry and we pour everything we have into our specific areas of service. But… it is not enough. It is not enough to be so busy in ministry that you miss the point. It is not enough to speak/preach truth, encourage, and counsel kids that have heard the gospel over a thousand times that you become blind to the lost and dying world around you.

Do not get me wrong, I understand the importance of spiritual growth and the importance of church. But… I truly believe if I am not focused on winning the lost and reaching out in my community then it does not matter how busy I was in the ministry or how many lives I impacted in my Christian circle. I was not and am not doing enough. I am not even remotely doing what God wanted. The great commission was not for me to keep speaking truth and shining my light to Christian teens (Matthew 28: 19-20). No… I am instructed to be a light to this dark and lost world (Matthew 5: 13-16).

We all are! We, as the church, should be a City on a Hill; a light to the world. So… why does it seem like we are not making a difference? Could it be because we all have lost focus? Could it be that the church has started placing their focus on what is happing inside the four walls instead of placing their passion and focus on a lost and dying world?

Interesting enough… I literally pass six different churches on the way to take my son to his preschool. Just sit back and think about that for a second…

It takes me about 25 minutes to get to my son’s preschool… so that means there are six churches all within a small radius. Not to mention the vast amount of churches in other nearby cities. It is kind of dumbfounding when I actually think about how many churches are within 30 minutes of my house. Maybe you live in an area where churches are few and far between but maybe you are like me and there are more churches than you can count. No matter which side of the spectrum you are on, I still believe this question can apply to every church goer out there. This question will hopefully get your blood pumping. This question hopefully will make you think… and not only think… but act!

So… here it is… Are We Getting It Right?

What do I mean when I ask that question? Well, over the course of being in full time ministry for the past 8+ years I have noticed a few things… if I am honest… a lot of things. Every church strives to have a good outreach program. Every church proclaims in their vision, goals, and statements that they are people focused. They strive to love people and reach people. Their statements are awesome. Their words, sentences, and phrases are all awesome… but from what I have witnessed that is where it stops. Somewhere in the middle of those sentences we, the church, lost sight of the goal. We do not act. We say we love and say we want to reach out into our communities but most of the time all of our focus is inward. All of our passion and determination goes towards fighting with each other and making sure our preferences are spoken loud and clear. Preferences are what drives churches these days. Drives them to succeed and drives them to fail. It is a dangerous game. Dangerous… because in our great attempt to prove traditional is better than contemporary or vice versa… we ultimately fail.

Sure, the traditionalist church may come, wear their suits and ties, sing only hymns (with piano only of course), use one Bible version, and carry their huge Bibles… BUT if their focus is not on reaching the lost and if they do not have love then it all is for nothing. It is literally all in vain. All of it!

Sure, the contemporary church may come, wear whatever makes them feel comfortable, sing praise and worship songs (with a live band of course), use many different Bible versions, and have their numerous Bible apps… But if their focus is not on reaching the lost and if they do not have love then it all is for nothing. It is literally all in vain. All of it!

I have come to the realization that Christians love to quote, read, and even highlight 1 Corinthians 13 but fail to actually live it out. We shout loud and clear that we want to reach the lost but we cannot even love our own brothers and sisters in Christ. We basically rewrite this chapter of the Bible. The world will not know we are children of God by how nice we dress when we go to church. The world will not know we are children of God by our stand on what version of the Bible is the best. The world will not know we are children of God by our view on traditional or contemporary churches.

No… not even close. John 13:35 says “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Does the world know we are His disciples? Can they even see Him? Or is our display a dim one? Too many times we, as Christians, constantly fight, argue, attack, and ultimately divide ourselves over non-essential things. Too many times we, as Christians, miss the point. Too many times we, as Christians, are not getting it right. Churches are started, planted, and some grow rapidly but for some reason we are not changing the world. For some reason the mission has become all about what we can get out of church instead of reaching the lost.  

Just think about how much more of an impact we could have on our city, our nation, and our world if all the churches could unite in the one thing that matters. What if we took our focus off of each other and placed it on actually doing what we are commanded to do (Matthew 28:19-20)? What if we actually strived to reach the lost? What if we begged God to give us His eyes for just one second (Brandon Heath – Give me Your Eyes)? What if we strived to let our lives be the proof of His love (For King and Country – Proof of Your Love)? What if we stopped fighting with each other and started fighting against the devil? What if instead of sowing discord we united and became a City on a Hill (Casting Crowns – City on a Hill)?

I am leaving you with the link to listen to the Song City on a Hill by Casting Crowns. I believe that we, the church, are letting our light fade because we focus too much on meaningless things.

The world cannot see Him because all they see is us!


Comments

  1. This is truely inspiring Becca. I hope that more people that read this will be inspired and open their eyes back up to what's important the most.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Every Experience is a Classroom

One of the biggest reasons I love sports is because each sport can teach you so much about life and so much about you as an individual. Over the years I have really started to love running. I am by no stretch of the imagination a marathon runner and probably never will be but this sport teaches me so much on a daily basis. I work out three to four times a week and every time I am at the gym I run between 4 to 6 miles (sometimes a little more but I try my very best not to go under 4). There are some nights where I feel I could run forever and my mind and body are in complete unison. Those nights are pretty joyous for lack of a better word. Those nights inspire me and motivate me. Those nights shout loud and clear that my determination and hard work is paying off. However, there are some nights that really are just complete torture. My mind and body fight the entire time. Most of the time the fighting starts even before I get to the gym. I let different things discourage me. I let my

Loving the Mirror

Confidence? There was a time  when confidence was evident in every area of my life. I truly believed I was beautiful just the way God made me and I truly believed He had a special plan  designed just for me . Living life back then was so much easier; so much simpler. Of course there were obstacles along the way,  hard  choices that needed to be made, and sometimes life was confusing… but my confidence in God and His plan outweighed anything else. I honestly though t my confidence would only grow the older I became; I thought I  would always love the way God made me  (I mean there is only one  me… that is pretty incredible).   I never imagined I would wake up one morning and  hate  what I saw in the mirror. Not me… not the girl who  personally  knows  the One who made her. It is kind of crazy for me to even think I lost sight of were true confidence resides.  A little shameful if I’m honest, but  the choice to grow and overcome weaknesses only comes when we are willing to adm