Skip to main content

The Sprint… The Marathon… The Race… The FINISH!!!

I saw this tweet the other day from one of my favorite Christian artists growing up. Although I do not agree with the situation of his quote, there are a couple of parts that really got me thinking. Kirk Franklin’s words read, “No sprints, but marathons… However long the race takes… Running at your pace… That won’t stop me from running.” If you know the situation and know the reasoning behind this tweet I am not wanting to focus on that at all. My sole focus is on this crazy race.

What does it truly mean to run (with endurance) the race set before us (Hebrews 12:1)?

What does it truly mean when it says that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize, So run that you may obtain it (1 Corinthians 9:24)?

What does it truly mean to press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:14)?

This race is vigorous. This race is extensive. This race is excruciating. This race discomforts. 

The Bible is packed full of illustrations, analogies, ect. Packed full of anything and everything that will help us to see the truth clearly and be able to apply that truth specifically to our lives. I absolutely love analogies and illustrations. To me it is like bringing a story to life; basically bringing a book into movie form. I see words written on a page. I memorize verses. I read the passages of scripture… some over and over… But it is the illustrations of my own life… The illustrations of others that make the words real. It is seeing God clearly in this commonplace. It is finding strength in Him alone to finish this race. To not only run (because everyone is running)… But to Win!!!

So… as I was thinking about the words of Kirk Franklin, I began to think about my own personal illustration/analogy. As many of you know, I absolutely love going to the gym to work out. It is a stress reliever and it is just something that I thoroughly enjoy. When I am there, I spend 40-60 minutes just on the treadmill. That is a long time to watch and observe others. While observing I came across a pretty great illustration for my life personally. One that helps me focus and apply truth to my own race. I thought I would share it with you today!

Every gym member at LA Fitness is there to work out. Basically that means everyone there is running “a race” so to speak. “The race” – Healthy living – Losing weight – Building muscle – Toning muscle – Building endurance – ect. “The race” is set before every single person that chooses to join LA Fitness or any other gym. The very minute the commitment is made and the contract is signed; the gun fires and “the race” begins… BUT do not think for a single second that “this race” (the workouts) looks the same for everyone. Do not think for a single second that the game plan to finish strong will be the same for every single person at the gym. No way!!! It was never intended to be that way. It is not a one size fits all type of deal (I always hated that saying).

The body builders have their protein shakes, their muscle milk, their bulk and shred weeks, their leg, arm, and back days, and they max out as much as possible.  The yoga and Pilate go getters have their mats, their complex stretches, their lean protein, their no sugar or carb diets, and they try to tone as much as possible. The endurance runners/athletes have their treadmills, their water (lots and lots of water), their new pair of running shoes every couple of months, their bananas, their wild salmon, their carbs, and they push their physical and mental frontiers every single time. Although the goal may be similar in context the game plan and course of action is without a doubt completely different. It would not be in the endurance athlete’s best interest to get side tracked by the body builders. To look over at them and start to doubt, question, and reconsider his game plan. It would not be in his best interest to divert from his track and start focusing on maxing out weights. His race, although the same in concept, is designed specifically for him. His race and game plan is pure strategy that can boost and generate the best endurance athlete only he can be; to produce an athlete that not only runs but WINS!!!

I believe God specifically designed our race. He strategically made a game plan that only we can run. He already has our course set before us (Job 23:10). He already knows how many hills we will have to climb and how many hurdles we will have to jump (Romans 5:2-5). And... Although it may seem like your neighbor’s race looks better than yours. And… although you may get side tracked by another Christian’s game plan. Please, I beg you, stay the course. Determine to yourself that you will learn your specific way to grow. Set your plan for success with God’s help. There is only one you!! There is only one way for you to win this race. Trust Him. Trust His plan. Remember it is not a sprint. If all we heard or read about the tortoise and the hare was the beginning; that they ran a race, we all would have thought the hare won by a land slide. However, we have heard and read the entire story; beginning, middle, and end. We know it is not about how fast you start… it is about staying the course… it is about the finish line.

So… no matter your pace right now. Just keep moving… Just keep growing… Just keep swimming!!!  

The Race with Him is possible. The race with Him is endurable. The race with Him is hopeful. The race with Him is more than obtainable. So run it with Him; in His name… and WIN!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Experience is a Classroom

One of the biggest reasons I love sports is because each sport can teach you so much about life and so much about you as an individual. Over the years I have really started to love running. I am by no stretch of the imagination a marathon runner and probably never will be but this sport teaches me so much on a daily basis. I work out three to four times a week and every time I am at the gym I run between 4 to 6 miles (sometimes a little more but I try my very best not to go under 4). There are some nights where I feel I could run forever and my mind and body are in complete unison. Those nights are pretty joyous for lack of a better word. Those nights inspire me and motivate me. Those nights shout loud and clear that my determination and hard work is paying off. However, there are some nights that really are just complete torture. My mind and body fight the entire time. Most of the time the fighting starts even before I get to the gym. I let different things discourage me. I let my

The Church - The Mission - Are We Getting It Right

I absolutely hate procrastination! Just ask my husband…  But I procrastinated to the very last minute to sit down and write this post. I could have written three to five other posts in the amount of time it took me to write this one. I was and am extremely nervous to share my thoughts on this topic because I believe God is trying to reveal something in my life personally. He is pulling and tugging at my heart. I have so much passion for this topic right now but I am not sure what I am supposed to do with it yet. It is hard to write about something that you are so passionate about because you want the words to be clear and interpreted correctly. Certainly, I know, there will be some that will miss the point, some may not care, but maybe… just maybe one person will get it. Maybe one person will catch on and see the vision. Passion, along with vision and attitude, is extremely contagious. Alright… enough chit chat. Here we go… So, where did this passion start? Where did it be

Loving the Mirror

Confidence? There was a time  when confidence was evident in every area of my life. I truly believed I was beautiful just the way God made me and I truly believed He had a special plan  designed just for me . Living life back then was so much easier; so much simpler. Of course there were obstacles along the way,  hard  choices that needed to be made, and sometimes life was confusing… but my confidence in God and His plan outweighed anything else. I honestly though t my confidence would only grow the older I became; I thought I  would always love the way God made me  (I mean there is only one  me… that is pretty incredible).   I never imagined I would wake up one morning and  hate  what I saw in the mirror. Not me… not the girl who  personally  knows  the One who made her. It is kind of crazy for me to even think I lost sight of were true confidence resides.  A little shameful if I’m honest, but  the choice to grow and overcome weaknesses only comes when we are willing to adm